Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Warm and Welcoming Albert Lea

I-90 was a real bear last Thursday night, snowy, windy and generally disagreeable.  I was due in Albert Lea at 4:00 and by the time I got there, my shoulders needed a hot water bottle from holding tight to my steering wheel. I was stressed out as I pulled into the parking lot of the hotel and was greeted by this marquee! I will never get used to this kind of thing.  I was especially excited to have dinner with area early childhood professionals from Community Education, the Children's Center and ECFE.


I was so happy to see Mark Nechanicky, a Minnesota Teacher of the Year finalist!  He and his wife, Taryn joined us for dinner.  Going through the MNTOY process together is like having spent a week together at camp. Mark will always be my buddy.

After dinner I was whisked away to Albert Lea High School to present to the community. I did a quick interview with KAAL TV first (you can find it on their home page). I shared my thoughts and tons of research to the audience about the state of childhood.  We focused on what kids need from the grown ups in their lives.  The time flew by! I want to thank Jenny Hanson and her staff for such a welcoming experience.  I felt like a rock star! Albert Lea has a wonderful staff at ECFE doing innovative programming for children and families.  Thanks Albert Lea!  I hope our paths cross again real soon.

1 comment: