Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Happy 83rd Birthday Whit!!

I have been scrounging around in my closet for two days looking for one of my favorite pictures in my collection of thousands.  It is a picture taken in 1978 of me and my dear coach, Jim Whitney at the Track Banquet.  I would have loved to post it here next to this lovely shot of the two of us taken earlier this month. You would see that we haven't changed a bit. When I find it, I will post it.  I also wanted to find it because it shows just how long Whit and I have been friends. I honestly don't know what my life would be like today had it not been for this very special man in my life. Whit saw an athlete in me that I didn't know existed and insisted that I work through some of the toughest times in my life in the healthiest way possible.  He made me run and run I did for three years on the varsity track team.  Whit taught me how to dig deep and fight through struggles on and off the track. Whit and his wife, Bev have always been there for me. Whit saw the best in me and so many other young women and expected us to be champions. Whenever I am faced with struggles, I hear his words of encouragement as my own. Whit is in a long race of his own with Parkinsons Disease.  I admire his tenacity, his sense of humor and his insistence on winning. Happy Birthday dear friend.  I love you!

1 comment: